Wednesday, September 13, 2017

September in the garden...

September is always a much better gardening month in my dry garden. For one thing I can rest the sprinklers and  watering cans a bit. Though it's been awful windy and with only one day of rain in  (my neighbor  says sixty days ) seems like longer.  
.


I was just about to dead head some of the Fennel  seed heads , then I noticed it was full of tiny birds .


The best plant in the world ! Helene Von Stein has had not a drop of water.


I'm not sure Rosie's that impressed with my efforts . I think she would  prefer a lawn .

 A  big green  lawn would be much nicer !






These are my happy Panicum grasses . On the South/West  side  Miserable dry Panicum will shortly be joining  them.

Rodgersia has had enough of this heat , wind , SMOKE , no rain summer ! I  yanked most of the crispy leaves out , I think the rest will  go tomorrow .  




The tan and white cat taking it's leave . No joy on the hunt today !




September also allows me to plant up this nice big bare patch .

9 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love that big tetrapanax. Hopefully mine grow fast next summer. I actually found holes chewed in my 'Helen Von Stein'! I can't believe anything would chew on leaves that fuzzy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evan , HVS must be saved by having a newly planted Western Redbud near by ...all the have been chewed .

      Delete
  2. Looking wonderful Linda, you're going to have to have us all over again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I was thinking about doing just that , then the weather turned everything crispy .

      Delete
  3. I'm actually really happy to see someone else's crispy Rodgersia. Mine were the same until a few weeks ago when I cut them all back. I'm planning to dig them and pot them up in a pot with no drainage so they'll get all the water they like next year. Maybe that will finally satisfy them. The rest of your garden looks great, though. I'm looking forward to not having to haul hoses and watering cans too. I've started planting up bare areas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I'm just reading a book that describes Rodgersia as a bog plant ....What was I thinking ! I must say it looks great in the spring and till last week when I held back on the watering , because we had One DAY OF RAIN . I'll probably just leave it in place and continue to hack it down when it looks awful, maybe it will grow back fresh leaves before the frost !

      Delete
  4. I saw Stachys 'Big Ears' at a nursery recently and wondered if it was the best plant in the world. And don't let that pup talk you into a green lawn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise ' Big Ears' looks a good one ! Rosie spoiled or soiled her chances of a green lawn when she peed and killed it off years ago .

      Delete